Oprah Winfrey has long been an advocate for happiness, wellness, and well-being. She uses her fame to generate awareness for health and nutrition. Her latest book, titled “Food, Health, and Happiness: 115 On-Point Recipes for Great Meals and a Better Life” is released on January 3. So far the book received overwhelming success, climbing to Amazon’s #1 slot in the “US Regional Cooking, Food & Wine” category. The book contains 115 different recipes. All those recipes are designed to maximize your efforts at eating healthy.
One of those 115 different recipes is Kale and Farro soup that emphasizes on wellness and health. The soup has become really popular among health-conscious people. The soup is hailed as the perfect weeknight meal that is easy to prepare and nutritional too. Tender farro and veggies; what else would you need for a powerful broth?
You may also like: How to Prepare Burnt Onion Ketchup – Step by Step Guideline
Plus, kale has also become a popular ingredient for many different soups. So, the recipe is all in all a new go-to recipe. Everyone wants to prepare it.
Let’s find out:
The Recipe at a Glance
- Recipe Name: Kale and Farro Soup
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Extra virgin olive oil (1 tablespoon)
- Finely minced yellow onion (1)
- Diced carrots (2)
- Leek (1), with only white and light green parts, thinly sliced and halved-rinsed
- Diced celery stalks (2)
- Pearled farro; rinsed and drained (2 cups)
- Chicken stock (8 cups)
- Garlic cloves; minced (2)
- Diced tomatoes (14-ounce can)
- Bay leaf (1)
- Dried thyme (1 tablespoon)
- 3-inch Parmesan rind (1)
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly crushed pepper
- 1 bunch green curly kale (6 ounces), stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 pound peeled butternut squash (2 cups), sliced into half-inch cubes
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Toss the onion and leek and cook until tender but colored, about 4 minutes.
- Introduce the carrots and celery and cook for another 4 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until scented.
- Introduce the farro and stir to coat.
- Add the squash, tomatoes, chicken stock, Parmesan rind, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a light simmer, then decrease the heat to medium-low.
- Cover the pot partially and let rest and simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash and farro begin to soften.
- Now stir in the kale and cook for 2 minutes more, or until tender.
- Remove the cheese rind and bay leaf.
- Take a sip and add more salt and pepper if required.
- Pour into bowls and divide, garnish each with about 1 tablespoon of cheese.
Bottom Line – a healthy broth packed with veggies and grains, the soup will sure appeal to your taste buds and recharge you on the way. I extremely love how easy it is to prepare the soup. The ingredients used may be overwhelming. But, they are worth the effort as the soup is highly nutritional.
Related Post: Sheet Pan Steak and Veggies Dinner Recipe